There are many common items around the house that can be dangerous if your pet comes in contact with or ingests them. Here are some of the more common ones to look out for.
While some people love to give their pets a little human food from time to time as a treat, there are foods you should avoid. Chocolate can cause anything from GI upset to seizures depending on the type and amount eaten, grapes and raisins can lead to kidney failure, onions and garlic can cause anemia and xylitol is an artificial sweetener that can lead to severely low blood sugar and seizures.
RAT BAIT AND FLEA/TICK TREATMENTS
There are several types of rodent baits that, if ingested, can cause things from internal bleeding to neurologic disease. Certain flea/tick parasite prevention labeled for dogs can be very harmful if accidentally applied to cats.
House plants such as lilies can cause kidney failure in cats and azaleas can lead to GI upset or heart disease in both dogs and cats. Check with us or a horticulturalist when selecting plants for inside/outside your home.
Our pets also don’t metabolize medication the same way we do so ingestion of any human medication warrants investigation as well. NEVER allow a cat or ferret to have Tylenol (acetaminophen) as this can be fatal.
As a pet owner, it can be extremely concerning when your beloved feline friend suddenly…
Studies have shown that 40% of all dogs and cats suffer from arthritis pain with…
Understanding Canine Salivation Every dog owner has had to deal with a bit of drool…
Animal Ark Animal Hospital offers exceptional, quality pet care with a highly skilled and compassionate staff who understands what a pet means to you and your family.